Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fasting

I fasted. All day. For the first time.

Yes, I went all day without food. I had never done anything like this before, so it was, to say the least, interesting.
On this particular morning, we were having butter dripping cinnamon swirl bread. As I sat at the table that morning, the only thing I could focus on was the slopping sound of people chewing that delectable food. Food. Food. Food.
Thankfully, there's one more piece of that yummy goodness that I will have had by the time you read this. Thank you Lord.
Throughout the rest of the day, I kept reminding myself, "Ryan, you're not having lunch today, you're not having lunch today, you're not having lunch today." BUT I WANT LUNCH. I WANT CHEESE. I'M CRAVING CHEESE STICKS. "You're not having lunch today Ryan." Gr.
I finally get past the school hour, and the hunger in my stomach becomes a part of me. Ignorable to a certain point. I'm fine for the rest of the day. Did I mention that my tongue turned white?
Through all the wanting (and lusting unfortunately over the food, which I've asked God's forgiveness for) I realized by the middle of the day that I was stronger than I had ever been before. Temptation came so close, and things I usually give into I persevered in. The only explanation for this is the fact that I knew God wanted me to fast today for some reason, and that it's HIS strength that was given to me to overcome temptation.
It is my goal to fast on a regular basis. It's a basic, scriptural principal to fast regularly, and being 17, not having fasted but once before (though not at ALL like this) I figure I should get on the stick!
I give all glory to God. For it is by His strength that we overcome the evil one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never really put much thought into fasting, this really reminded me of the importance of these things we don't really take a second glance at.