Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Journey Testimony

I went on a journey... a journey to my heart. Below is my testimony. For more information, check out http://iblp.org/programs/journey-heart        
 
         I make it to Chicago to start day 1 of my Journey. I filled out the spiritual application, and then headed in to have my interview with Mr. Gothard. I walked away 15 minutes later, thinking OW. That HURT. Well, now I knew that what my parents did was absolutely necessary, and it sure did bring me to tears, knowing that I couldn’t be friends with this person anymore. But that wasn’t the core problem.

            Day 2 and 3 (Sunday and Monday) went by just fine, especially the road trip. Getting to finally see the North Woods was amazing. I knew it was the perfect place to get alone with God, and speak with Him intimately. Boy was I in for a surprise.

            Day 4 (Tuesday) was one of the biggest highlights for me. Right after dinner, I immediately went and sat in one of the living-room chairs, watching our group leader do all of the dinner chores by himself. I told myself over and over to go help him, but couldn’t bring myself to do it. Just as he’s finishing up the cleaning, I force myself to apologize to him. He accepts my apology, but he wasn’t going to let us all go off easy.

We were all gathered in the living room, waiting to go through the next heart devotional. Our leader sat down, looked at us all in the eye, and told us that all we had been doing since we started the Journey was talk about movies, cars, government, and other things of the flesh. On top of that, he told us that we were being a bunch of wussies, not doing any work in the kitchen, and not much anywhere else either. At least three of us were in tears, and all of us were laid out on the ground, crying out to God to forgive us for not focusing on Him. About half an hour later, we started laying hands on each other, and praying for one another, which lasted about 45 minutes. It was absolutely incredible. We mentally vowed to try to keep our talk on things above, instead of on things on earth.

My Core problems were revealed on day 5 (Wednesday) as we went through one of the devotionals, A Murmuring Heart. I realized that my friendship being broken, facebook being taken away, and other things were all because of one thing: My dishonor and disrespect towards my parents. None of it would’ve happened if it had not been for my murmuring heart against my parents, which goes directly towards God. Again, I was in tears, and asked God to forgive my murmuring heart.

The last important event that took place on The Journey was on Day 6 (Thursday). That day, we fasted. Until dinner anyway, but still, it was a fast. Right after dinner, all the Journey groups watched a video by Louie Giglio, on how big the stars are, in comparison to the earth. What can I say, I’m an emotional guy! I broke down, yet again as the video ended, as did another guy. We cried on each other’s shoulders as everyone else headed out of the room. We hadn’t even met, but it was a special moment. The two of us headed up to the prayer tower to join everyone else. We cried, and poured our hearts out to God. 3 hours later, everyone headed back home. That was one of the best 3 hours of my life. I realized that day how powerful and mighty God was. I also realized how important and special prayer was.

Days 7 – 10 went by nice and smooth, reaping beautiful truths from God’s Word. Intimate time with Him, learning and being convicted.

I came back home a different person. I came back home changed. I came back home broken. God seems to work in many different ways, but He has the same basic plan. He will convict you, causing you to cry out to Him, asking for His forgiveness. He willingly does so, and changes your heart.

God can’t change your heart until he breaks it, melts it down, and then forms it into what He wants it to be. But you also have to be willing to let Him mold your heart. That’s what He did to me. He broke my heart, and molded it into something new.

The Journey helped me realize that I am a human being, in need of help. God’s help. I urge all believers to take a journey. A journey to your heart. But be warned, you might not like what you find. Are you willing to let God examine you, and melt you down?

No comments: